Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Shah was buried in Cairo

When I first got here, I landed in Toronto. I was walking around with my wife asking every business if they had any work. There was an Iranian guy who had a car repair garage. He said "No, but can you fix my car lift". I said "Yes, I could do it right now". I asked my wife to continue without me and I fixed it for him right there with a gasket I made. He asked me back to fix other things in his garage. I went there everyday for a week. I fixed a second lift that had bad electrical contacts, and the hydraulic and fuel systems on a fork lift that hadn't worked in years.

He said he liked Egyptians and that the Shah was buried in Cairo.

After the week had passed, I tried to discuss future plans and payment with him.  He said "No work". I told him I wasn't coming the next day. He said "Just one minute", walked away and came back with fifty dollars that he gave me for the week's work. He then told me not to tell anyone that I had worked for him and he couldn't give me a reference because it was illegal and I didn't have a social insurance number.

Saad, Engineer, Egypt

No comments:

Post a Comment